Monday, December 10, 2012

"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Philip K. Dick


Well I finished this 2 weeks ago? I did not write anything about it and it maybe I should have. I actually would love to re-visit some of the novels I have read this year, but I’ll get there. This is the first novel I read by Philip K. Dick. I had read a few short stories online and I have known about the existence of this novel since I was a teenager. For whatever reason, I never read it until recently. It’s a short book. I got a copy at The Book Mark on Spring Garden for 8 bucks, the mass market edition that says “Blade Runner” on it. Most people know that this novel was the basis for Ridley Scott’s hit movie.. yeah the one with the 80’s rape. Anyway… moving on…
The book and movie are very different. That’s all I am going to say about that.
I like the relationships between the characters in the book. They all seem so complicated and full of history. Even the mysterious androids, whom had only been in existence for a small matter of years, seemed so full of history (possibly due to the implant of false memories). I liked Racheal Rosen, the android daughter of the patriarch of the famous Rosen Family of android builders. I was really sad with the ending however. I am so mad that she killed the Goat. Really I AM! I feel like the Mr. Dick wanted to portray that androids feel but lack experience and that their empathy was built on selfishness, much like a child... scorned lover? Anyway, I'm probably wrong... I've never been very good at feeling exactly what the author is trying to say. I think I'm one of those people who just reads what she wants to see ?? Or rather what I want to read. 
Either way, I really enjoyed the book and I think everyone should read it. I love how un-empathetic the human characters are to each other, showing a the ultimate difference between humans and androids - androids actually care about other androids...not just other forms of life that they deem acceptable. If anything, it parallels the pathetic nature of so many people full of prejudice. But maybe that was one of the points of the book?? Maybe I'm just too daft to completely get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment