Thursday, November 5, 2020
Wednesday, November 4, 2020
Image Comics recently announced that Mirka Andolfo's latest comic book series is coming to the North American audience in 2021! SWEET PAPRIKA can be expected sometime in July and I'm already salivating. These adorable images have been posted all over her instagram and teasing me for at least a year.
With the announcement, Image also stated that Arancia Studio & Grey Ladder Productions are creating an animated project around the series with Emmy Award Winner Director Gabriele Pennacchioli, the directory responsible for Love, Death & Robots.
Image has described this new series as a "sexy rom-com" and a "Bridgey Jone's Diary meets Sex And The City with a twist of The Devil Wears Prada". This descriptions feels very true to some of the more adorable moments in Andolfo's earlier series UNNATURAL.
The synopsis from the publisher:
Paprika, a young woman of Italian origins living in New York, is a workaholic: success has sucked up her life, making her forget the importance of time for herself and for her loved ones. To bring havoc in her life will be Dill, a naive and handsome boy with an “angelic” otherworldly attitude, who will push the young woman to question herself and help her regain confidence in herself and in men. Their totally opposite characters and lifestyles will give life to fun and irresistible stories, seasoned with a pinch of eroticism.
SWEET PAPRIKA isn't currently ready for pre-order so I regret to inform you that I do not have a diamond code to share but I couldn't be more excited that we'll be seeing this series next year, which is very much around the corner.
Monday, November 2, 2020
The time has come for me to get back into written comic commentary. I've had a little over a month away from all comic reviewing while I focused on twitch gaming but in all that time of course, I have continued to read comics. Recently I was able to finish reading KING OF NOWHERE. So let's talk about it shall we?
Boom Studios released issue 1 of King of Nowhere in March of this year, at the beginning of the Canadian Covid epidemic. The series survived the first wave of lock downs and comic downsizing and completed it's 5 issue run in September. (Me being a wee bit behind on picking up my comics, I only got to recently read the conclusion.)
The series was written by Eisner Award Winner W. Maxwell Prince and illustrated by one of my favorite illustrators Tyler Jenkins whom you would most recently remember from his Eisner nominated series GRASS KINGS. If you have been following this blog for any length of time you are likely well acquainted with his work as I've covered most of his projects.
KING OF NOWHERE follows lost drunkard Denis who winds up in strange small town after a particularly enthusiastic bender. He has no memory of how he got there and begins to question his sanity and sense of reality as he is met with the locals. The town Nowhere is inhabited by fish people, bird people, talking trees and mutants of all shapes. As Denis deals with each one the reader is left to wonder if in fact he is on some terrible drug trip or if the reality of the store has shifted into another world. I could perhaps describe the story as a daydream with a little sprinkling of delirium on top for taste.
For me, the artwork trumps the story as I am very partial to Jenkin's lovely water color. It feels like a fever dream all on its own. The finer points of the story itself rests in the subtleties. There's a self loathing and wanting need to be better-than in the main characters which gives NOWHERE its charm. There's a taste of the struggling addict in every issue which humanizes the characters, which is kind of hard since some of them look like fish. Yet its these intrinsic faults displayed to the reader which imparts more impact in the story than the overall plot which focuses largely on small town conspiracy and government crime. While those things offer some adventuring, it is the journey Denis experiences in questioning his own reality that really drives the whole story (for me).
I definitely recommend grabbing this one! If you're unable to make it to your local comic shop, you can grab this series on Comixology of ask Santa to get you the trade for Xmas as it comes out Dec 9th!
Thursday, October 29, 2020
Here is a list of rules and explanations about the rules. So before you do anything on the server, READ THESE and remember, breaking the rules = instant ban.
RULES & ETTIQUETTE
1. NO GRIEFING - This includes but not limited to: hurting someone else’s base even if it’s unclaimed, placing blocks in town or in any built area, attacking people without formally challenging them to a duel (and having them accept the challenge), and of course stealing! Our server has core-protect so remember we’re watching you.
2. BE KIND TO EVERYONE. This also means no stealing even if it is currently unclaimed! Stealing from stores is also grounds for removal from server.
3. Respect and listen to the Mods.
4. Do not build your base or store too close to anyone’s build. Shops and bases that are placed too close to existing buildings will be removed by mods. Build at least 500 blocks away from The Frog Queen's base! Ideally you want to also place your base at least 500 blocks from the shopping district. The Supply Shed is meant for newbies on the server and taking multiple times from it will result in banning. This is survival, learn how to survive.
5. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT bother The Frog Queen repeatedly while she’s building something on stream. This is considered toxic behaviour and grounds for removal. This includes things like constantly trying to be on screen, placing blocks in and around a stream build, and basically anything that distracts from the streams mission.
6. You may grab some starter gear from the supply shop at spawn but after that you're on your own! However, make some friends on the server! They're sure to help you out!
The Frog Queen reserves the right to revoke your access to the server without warning should you disregard the rules and safety of your fellow miners and crafters.
7. There is zero tolerance for using any cheating software or systems to get around the anti-cheat installed on the server. Using xray cheats to hoard resources and other cheats will result in immediate banning.
8. Absolutely no iron or gold farms as that is something that is provided in the Iron Bank. Passive mob farms are fine, such as automatic chicken farms. However, you may not build any afk farms as the server has AFK protection installed and will boot you for AFKing. If you find a spawner, you can turn it into an XP farm as long as you do not turn it into an AFK farm.
9. Absolutely no streaming on this server unless you were given specific permission by the frog queen. Streaming without permission results in a perma-ban.
Fequently Asked Questions
What's the location of Spawn?
Can I build a shop in the shopping district?
YUP! Shopping District is built up all around the gazebo at Spawn. See coords above.
How can I protect my base?
The server runs with a claim system where you can claim blocks using a golden shovel and stick. To learn more about how this works read the in-game book at spawn OR watch the first 15 minutes of the following video to learn how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLR4GrOiGOY