Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Saga: Volume 1 by Brian K Vaughan

Alana & Marko with daughter Hazel.
Written by Brian K Vaughan
Art by Fiona Staples


I have to say that I'm loving this series. It's combined the right amount of action, humor and drama that makes any story memorable. Vaughan doesn't disappoint, or so I've come to figure out and I'm in love with Fiona Staples illustrations! I really like how she draws faces, that's always been a big thing with me. I need to see perfect facial expressions ! That is what really makes a graphic novel come alive for me!

The story cracks me up. It centers around the escape of two star crossed lovers, Alana and Marko (ya that sort of thing, in space!) and their total forbidden love-child, a hybrid of two warring species known as the horns and the wings. They do have technical names but that is what everyone who isn't of that species refers to them as. The two races have been at war for an unnumbered amount of time and have managed to tear up the galaxy in the process, killing off loads of innocent bystanders in the process.

I like all the characters so far. I'm particularly interested in bounty hunter and freelancer known as The Will. He has enough of a heart to rescue a 12 year old sex slave from a brothel yet kills people for a living. I'm excited to see what he gets up to with his sidekick known as Liar Cat. (cute eh??) The local comic book shop just got in these cute t-shirts with a picture of Liar Cat, and I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I want one, but you know... I don't buy new clothes.

Oh, my favorite line from volume 1, Alana has to tell Marko a secret so he can make some magic happen. She says "I enjoy the taste of my own breast milk." and that does it. I laughed pretty hard. The best is when she explains how she came to taste it.

No comments:

Post a Comment