Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Caricature by Daniel Clowes

Caricature consists of nine stories originally printed in Daniel Clowes comic Eightball. Each story is full of typical unusual type characters like those that exist in Ghost World. They all seem fairly introverted and unaware of the impact their actions have on others. I suppose that makes them like most people in the general public. My personal favorite from the collection is Green Eyeliner. The storyteller and main character has a visibly skewed sense of reality. She acts as if her attempt at pulling out a fake (yet realistic looking gun) in a crowded theater, didn't warrant some hysterical reaction. Like most of Daniel Clowes characters, her personal history hinges on how she decides to recant the story. I would just label this "delusional".

I haven't read a whole lot of Daniel Clowes, reason being that I find it hard to get my hands on his books. I'm always waiting in a long list at the library and my local comic book stores never seem to have it in stock when I wander in. I need to rectify this somehow. There needs to be more Clowes in my graphic novel collection. I say this of course while coveting all of Osamu Tezuka's work. I'll get there someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment