Thursday, November 13, 2014

The Kitchen #1

I like mobster movies but it really all depends. I'm more of a Goodfellows type girl than a Godfather gal. Whatever kind of gal I was before, now I'm a The Kitchen kind of gal. The Kitchen #1 was released yesterday on Vertigo. The story takes place in New York City in the late '70s. It's a gritty story about three women who's husbands happen to be Irish mobsters, that just went to prison. It's up to the wives now to provide for their family and they do this by taking up their husbands collections. Of course, there's a surprise at the end of the issue.

The women of the story are uniquely written and there is a definite leader amongst the three. Kath is the one who urges both Raven and Angie to continue running their husbands rackets. The other ladies seem easily convinced at the thought of being able to put good food back on the tables at home. It's the worry that they won't be taken seriously that begins to concern them. This is Ollie Masters' debut on Vertigo and so far I'm pretty happy with his work.

Ming Doyle's artwork is perfect for this story and carries a slight retro quality yet a voice all her own. I think everyone knows this sort of thing floats my boat. This first issue also has an amazing cover by the one and only Becky Cloonan who has been all over the DC universe for some time now. It's unmistakably her work. There is a variant cover by Ming available but I haven't seen it kicking around anywhere sadly. At least not in Halifax. 

All in all, I'm really happy that Vertigo has a new title for me to enjoy! I was beginning to worry. The only thing Vertigo in my subscription box right now is Bodies and that's halfway done.

No comments:

Post a Comment