Thursday, January 2, 2020

COMIC BOOK REVIEW : FOLKLORDS (BOOM STUDIOS)


Hey all! Here's my latest review and if you don't like watching videos, here are my thoughts below:

 It's no secret that I'm a fan of Matt Kindts work. GRASS KINGS and BLACK BADGE being the most recent titles to capture my attention but when I saw the press release for FOLKLORDS I felt that Kindt might have written something especially for me. When I sat down to read it, I found a kindred spirit in the main character, identifying with his sense of adventure and goal oriented mentality! Hey what can I say, I completely feel that pull to get out there and seek new experiences. So before I go on here, this is your spoiler warning which

Our hero Ansel is growing up in a world where becoming an adult and leaving adolescence behind means  completing a quest! This world is steeped in fantasy fairytale lore not unlike Narnia!  However Ansel runs into trouble because his chosen quest is basically the worst idea ever. He wants to find the Legendary Folklords. Ansel quickly finds out that this is strictly forbidden. The governing force of his little village known as the Librarians, shut down all chosen quests when Ansel's peer steals his quest idea and proclaims his intentions of finding the Folklords. Every one of Ansels classmates are then assigned new, much easier and approved quests to complete.

Now there's something special about Ansel that makes this human boy stand out from everyone else. He has these dreams of another place. Another world with moving vehicles of wheels and giant machines that fly in the sky. And everyone sees Ansel as a bit odd. He makes weird contraptions and clothing. Ansel believes finding the Folklords may also answer his questions about his dreams and all the weird contraptions he dreams of and the strange people there in this other world. He is not about to abandon his life's ambition because of the whims of some faceless governing body. He approaches his classmate who stole his quest idea and asks him if he'd like to come along and complete his quest against all known law. That's the entire set up of this story.

BACKSTORY of the elf.

No comments:

Post a Comment