Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Midnight Vista #1 (Aftershock Comics)

Interesting cover, lets look inside... hmm okay... Not what I was expecting. How about you? I totally understand the regular practice of hiring a cover artist. I know you can't judge a book by it's cover. Really I do know this I just think that most of the time, yes you can in fact judge a book based on the cover and you probably should. That's what marketing is all about. Maybe I'm a little bit cutthroat. Anyway, this cover gave me the impression that something a lot more modern would be contained in the pages. That's not the artwork we got. Hey it's very lovely and skilled work. It just doesn't make any sense to me with the cover image.

But does any of that really make a book worth passing over? For me, ya again, it kinda does. I'm not a big fan of the interior art here. It's just not for me. It's a little dated looking for me. Particularly about 10 pages in. But did you see the cover of issue 2? Looks awesome! Well Juan Doe has a fuck ton of awesome cover art literally scattered all over the internet. And then, look up interior artist Clara Meath's work. There's a lot less which isn't anything really, but it does look distinctly different and feels just MILES different. Her artwork elsewhere feels really different than this book as well and I think that can be largely attributed to the colorist (no offense meant). I think the first few pages look alright and everything after is a disorganized mess color-wise.

Look at Clara Meaths other work. It feels more modern. Her cover image for her kickstarter book, the comic adaptation of Edgar Allan Poe's The Conqueror Worm, it's gorgeous. I found an image of Liz Sherman she did, and one of Sarah from The Labyrinth also beautiful. This is one of those instances where I as an editor would have said "this just isn't the right colorist". But hey I'm not really an editor in that way, so...I guess my opinion isn't worth THAT much. It's just my opinion.

So where does that put me with this series? In short, not reading it. That sounds terrible and I'm usually really into almost everything I read. This was a big miss for me which is too bad because I really do feel there is a lot of talent here, it just really didn't come together for me. If you've been reading this blog for a while then you know how much I really love the books Aftershock Comics chooses to publish but this one was a miss I'm sorry to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment