Wednesday, November 28, 2018

DEVIL WITHIN #1 & 2 (Black Mask)

Greetings again Comic Book Junkies. It's the frog queen here and today I'm reviewing DEVIL WITHIN issues #1 and 2 from Black Mask Studios. This is written by Stephanie Phillips and illustrated by Maan House with colors by Dee Cunniffe. Letters by Troy Peteri.

Maan House is a name you certainly may be familiar with. House has been a comic artist on such titles as Witchblade and Cutter, Krampus, Hipnorama and more. Stephanie Phillips was selected as the Top Cow Talent Hunt runner-up winner for writing. Stephanie's previous titles include Butcher of Paris and Kicking Ice.

This is a horror comic that debuted in the month of horror October with issue #2 having just been released on November 21st. Yours truly was late getting this comic as sometimes happens but I knew I'd get to it eventually. So the story begins with two newly engaged love birds entering their brand new home. Samantha and Michelle immediately start to have experiences in the home, well in particular, Michelle starts to have experiences while Samantha lives in a world of doubt and denial.

How do I put this, Sam is basically an asshole. She's an un-supportive partner who doesn't even recommend to her fiance that MAYBE she see a healthcare professional (which in my opinion, would be the obvious choice if you didn't believe in ghosts and your fiance was going on about seeing them AND being possessed by one). But no, Sam continues to tell her girlfriend that she's overreacting, imagining things and being dramatic. She's not a far jump away from gaslighting. She'd get along great with my ex boyfriend.

Sam antagonizes her partner at every turn, especially in issue 2. I don't even think this can be taken as joking around at this point. On pg 13 she's making fun of her for tripping and hurting herself and pg 14 she's making her sound irresponsible by telling her she can't take care of herself. And on pg 16 she's making fun of her in her head. WHY IS SAM EVEN MARRYING THIS WOMAN? She clearly doesn't think much Michelle.

All things considered, for another haunting possession story, DEVIL WITHIN is really engaging story. I actually felt myself sympathizing with Michelle more so for having to deal with asshole Sam than the possession but right there, that kept me reading. I love a good possession story, I love creepy ghost kids, let me correct that, I love creepy ghost kids in my comics. But I think I would be remiss without saying that we've seen all these things before. Something this story has that many possession stories do not have is a homosexual relationship. It's nice to have that diversity there although it doesn't really add anything to the story thus far. Yet as I said, despite this story not containing any ground breaking horror elements, it remains engaging.

Well I think that does it for this review. Devil Within is a 4 issue mini series and you can get issue #3 on January 2nd. Thank you so much for watching, don't forget to subscribe to my channel and check me out on facebook, instagram and twitter and as always until next time, read something good.

CHECKOUT MY VIDEO REVIEW TO SEE MORE OF THE ART:



No comments:

Post a Comment