Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Game of Thrones the Final Episode: My Thoughts



Hey Comic Book Junkies, it's The Frog Queen here and today I'm doing something a little different. I was asked to give record my thoughts on the Comic News Insider Podcast about the final episode of Game of Thrones and since I did that, I thought I would do an extended version of my thoughts in a video for Youtube. But if you don't like videos, here's my thoughts all typed up:

My initial thoughts, I can only hope that Martin finishes his planned books so I can erase the memory of this season with the actual story, written beautifully as it was intended.

I think it’s important for me to explain that I’m not upset at the ending of the story but rather it’s pitiful execution. I can of course accept that Danny was certainly meant to follow in her father's footsteps as a mad queen tyrant but as we’ve all seen greatly criticized, the writers of the show did not properly lead up to this with subtle character changes in decisions, motivations, etc. They simply decided to make her crazed overnight. I would have liked to see her insanity creep in, sneak up on her, and see more of her own personal views on the world and her own ego become twisted. I know we will get this in the books if they ever manage to be released before my own death.

The other issue I had with Danny herself was her continued sexual advances on Jon after they both learn of their biological relation. They keep showing Danny repeatedly coming on to John and him rejecting which I guess this is the one thing to show that she’s unhinged and he’s sane….? WEAK.

The ultimate criticism for me though is the Deaths of great characters. The death scenes are anticlimactic, soft and unemotional, lacking the impact that these characters are due. You need to provide the prolific characters with the appropriate significance they deserve. 

There’s been so much criticism for why this season was rushed, and the reason is pretty clear to everyone. The Disney money offered to the writers/creative team was simply more important to them. So once again, money over fans ... I suppose we could blame Disney over greed but greed appears to be the ultimate culprit as usual. It’s helped aid the downfall of many a television show and film. Which brings me to the question which comes up very often in fandom, do creatives with such a large fanbase actually owe anything to their fans? In the comic book world I’ve always said no. I think to a certain extent this is true but when you have such a large audience and great influential platform, I think there is a responsibility to do your best. I think we can safely say that the creators here did indeed NOT do their best.

Despite the rush job which I think is one opinion all fans can agree with, there were some very beautiful cinematic moments in the final episode. Two of note would be the first scene of the episode with Daenerys as she walks out towards John Snow with Drogo spreading his wings in the background behind her. The scene transforms Danny into the angel of death she has become with the great black wings. The second great moment is in my opinion, the ending with all the wildlings walking back into the forest beyond the wall. We see their backs as they disappear into the forest. I half expected some cheesy whispering threat of white walkers so I’m thankful that didn’t happen.

Tying up loose ends - If my mind wanders back to film and television that has done the task of tying up all the loose ends of a story (or as many as they could manage), I always think of the Peter Jackson’s Lord of The Rings and how he was heavily criticized for not ending the film at what many people thought was it’s natural conclusion. I think there’s a deep wanting from an audience for the conclusion of their favorite characters yet, when we are actually given that conclusion, we are rarely happy with it. It’s so effective and satisfying in books but it almost never works in film. In fact, I can only think of one ultimate ending that I think wrapped up all characters epicly on screen, and that was SIX FEET UNDER. Such a great emotional ending. I actually cried and I pretty much never cry to film. This all makes me think that Perhaps it’s the guessing and wanting of our characters conclusions that ultimately truly holds up.

So I really don’t feel like I have much to say. There’s so much that others have said already, that will be said that I don’t feel like I need to go into HUGE detail on this. This season was ultimately a blip for me and it doesn’t erase the good seasons for me. It also doesn’t marr the books for me at all. I’m just anxious for them to come out and take me on a real adventure. But what are your thoughts? I’d love to hear what you think about the last episode or any of the episodes. What were you favorite moments from the series? What was the ending you wanted? Please leave your thoughts in the comments below. And until next time, as usual, read something good!

Also Check out COMIC NEWS INSIDER which is a great comic book related podcast which I've been a guest on a few times included this past episode that just went up on Monday:
https://www.facebook.com/ComicNewsInsider

No comments:

Post a Comment