Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Lazarus #14

This is one of the better covers in this series.
WHOLEY SHIT! Excuse me, forgive my outburst. No wait... WHOLEY SHIT!!!

I was slightly behind in this series and just caught up. I've had this discussion with my friend Kelly about how we love binge reading Lazarus. So I was going to wait for the entire current story arc to end but ... I couldn't and instead binge read issues 10 to 14. Hence my WHOLEY SHIT. By the way, my WHOLEY is a regional thing.. specifically to this region of Nova Scotia.

If you don't know anything about Lazarus here's the comixology blurb because frankly I'm lazy and kinda tired:

"In a dystopian near-future government is a quaint concept, resources are coveted, and posession is 100% of the law. A handful of Families rule, jealously guarding what they have and exploiting the Waste who struggle to survive in their domains. Forever Carlyle defends her family's holdings through deception and force as their protector, their Lazarus. Shot dead defending the family home, Forever's day goes downhill from there."

So Forever is constantly coming back to life and protecting the family with all her genetically enhanced abilities and implants. She's an amazing character capable of killing all in the name of her family but also gentle and controlled. Rucka really managed to get her demeanor across in this book and I'm led to believe that Forever moves slowly and thoughtfully with intent behind every gesture. That's a difficult thing to pull off in stills. 

Speaking of the artwork, it's not my thing. Anyone who's read this blog even a little would be able to see that this sort of rigid-emotionless computer composite is something that would actually deter me from reading a book. However, I was able to get past the artwork because the story line is so awesome. The characters are so real and believable that I find myself living in their bodies and contemplating how I feel about having to kill people because my family asked me to. I feel like I know the characters intimately. That we were all lovers at one point maybe? I suspect Lazari would be exceptional in bed, what with all the crazy um.. implants....? genetic modifications? hmmm I think I'm getting a little off track here. Just read the damn story. I've got some things to take care of....


No comments:

Post a Comment