Sunday, January 20, 2013

Savage Wolverine #1

Writer & Artist Frank Cho

This is the first Marvel Comic I have purchased in over a year. I got really mad at Marvel and the X-men (which I once read religiously) due to the whole Hope & No Mutants Story Arc. Oh and for the fact that they killed off Nightcrawler, and for relaunching the X-men title with a vampyric Jubilee. FUCK THAT. However, Wolverine in Savage Land with Shanna the She Devil?? YEAH!! And seriously, Sauron is supposed to show up at some point. The Reapers do but Sauron hasn't shown his face yet. Hey, it's issue 1, can't pull out all the flashy-flash and rickita-rackata.  

Some of my favourite story arcs in X-men history, take place in the Savage Land. It's AWESOME. Cho had this to say about the title:

 "This isn't just a solo Wolverine story. It's actually a team-up story with Shanna the She-Devil. Both Wolverine and Shanna have similar assertive personalities. The story is not just a quest to get home; it's a story about surviving each other's company and the Savage Land."  - Taken from an interview on CBR.

The first issue really just explains how a special SHIELD task force is trapped on the island. Poor Wolverine merely wakes up on the island after spotting some weird flash of light. It isn't long before he runs into Shanna who spills the whole SHIELD story. So am I gonna continue reading..??? FUCK YEAH, 'cause that's how much I love The Savage Land, over my current hate on Marvel. On a side-note, I really love the cover art and Cho is pretty successful at turning me on with the art inside. It's not exactly the type of thing I love but I enjoy the subtlety of his style and really like how he draws Wolverine. I'm not going "GAH!" when I look at it, so that's a good sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment