Friday, November 30, 2012

Drop-In by Dave Lapp

So, I’m really into comics.. people who know me, know this. I love to read. Anyway, I thought I might as well start posting some of the shit I’ve been reading. Last night I read this book called “Drop-in” by Dave Lapp. It’s a Canadian graphic novel (kinda more like a zine) that holds a collection of stories based on the experiences Dave had while working in Toronto Drop-in Centers for under privileged youth. I got this 4 dollars at a local comic book store where they were selling off a lot of older trades and singles for 60% off. This is a trade paper, by the way. I have to say I really liked this book. It reminds me of some of the stuff I’ve been writing, only this is actually true. It’s so real that it hits you in the chest. I liked that Dave Lapp didn’t bother to edit out his own thoughts on the situations he’s put in, like the story about the homeless man who followed him around and gave him his phone number. Dave is honest about his reaction to being in a situation where he was worried for his own safety. He deals with a whole bunch of issues regarding poverty, abuses of children and social displacement. The ending is fantastic though. Real good, feel good story right at the end. So after all those sad, stories end up collecting together to make a rather bitter-sweet book as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment